Google Cloud acquires MobiledgeX, a startup software company that helps telecom service providers build edge clouds.
Credit: Getty Images
Google Cloud has acquired MobiledgeX, a startup software company that helps telecom operators build their own edge clouds, and helps developers to add value to those telco services. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
This is technology M&A deal number 446 that ChannelE2E has covered so far in 2022. See more than 1,000 technology M&A deals involving MSPs, MSSPs & IT service providers listed here.
Google Set to Open Source MobiledgeX
Deutsche Telekom founded MobiledgeX in 2018. MobiledgeX’s mission was to build a “marketplace of edge resources and services that will connect developers with the world’s largest mobile networks to power the next generation of applications and devices,” according to the company’s 2018 boilerplate.
Additional MobiledgeX backers and partners included Samsung, VMware, SK Telecom, World Wide Technology (WWT).
It sounds like Google Cloud plans to open source the MobiledgeX technology for telecom operators. The deal was first reported by Telecom TV.
Additional Google Acquisitions
Google has maintained steady M&A activity. Noteworthy acquisitions include:
- May 2022: Raxium, a hardware startup focused on augmented and mixed reality devices.
- March 2022: Mandiant to further boost Google Cloud cybersecurity services.
- August 2020: StratoZone to help partners & customers plan and automate data center migrations to Google Cloud Platform.
- July 2020: North, a wearable technology startup funded by Intel Capital, The Amazon Alexa Fund, Fidelity & Spark Capital.
- February 2019: Alooma to counter AWS Aurora & Redshift; Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse; and Oracle Cloud Autonomous Data Warehouse.